Today (03) the 03rd session of the Ninth Parliament started ceremonially under the chairmanship of President Ranil Wickramasinghe.
Some important points of the speech delivered by President Ranil Wickremesinghe presenting the policy statement of the government are mentioned below.
- I reiterate to this House the importance of an all-party government in order to quickly resolve this political crisis and establish stability.
- In order to balance payments for fuel, we have to restrict selected imports and restrict the supply of fuel.
- As a first step towards recovery, we have started negotiations with the International Monetary Fund on a four-year program and we hope to conclude the initial round of staff negotiations quickly and successfully.
- Debt stabilization plans in collaboration with international financial and legal experts, Lazard and Clifford Chance, have now reached the final stage and will be submitted to the International Fund shortly.
- We will formulate a national economic policy for the next 25 years and lay the necessary foundation for a creative social market economic system by taking care of the poor and underprivileged groups and encouraging entrepreneurs.
- By 2025, our goal is to create a surplus in the primary budget.
- Due to the instability of the foreign policy, we faced many disadvantages and setbacks at the international level and I will join you all and change this situation.
- Peaceful struggle is a basic human right. I accept that right.
- Some groups are trying to spread a big propaganda on social media that I am going to hunt down the militants. But that is not true.
- As a beginning of the political reform process, we hope to adopt the 22nd constitutional amendment by incorporating all the positive aspects of the 19th amendment.
- As I have already mentioned, steps will be taken to immediately establish parliamentary sectoral monitoring committees. Through those committees, all the political parties get involved in the government and work together.
- Also, I am working to establish a national assembly consisting of political party leaders.
- Bribery, corruption and fraud must be completely eliminated from this society. I am implementing a national policy to combat bribery and corruption.
- I am taking steps to establish a public assembly to decide which social and political reforms should be carried out. Political parties are preparing a mechanism for asking the opinions of various organizations and all people who are interested in this matter through public assemblies. I especially invite the youth who joined the struggle and the youth who did not join to give their ideas for this.